Monday, June 13, 2016

So Long and Thanks (for all the Fish)

For those of you not geeky or nerdy enough to recognize the title of this blog post may I introduce you to one of my favorite movies. Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is one of the funniest movies and is based on a great book series of the same name.



On a semi-related note, my dear grandmother died in May. She left our family all of her possessions, including trying to give us her fish tank filled with guppies, which my father dropped of at a Petsmart since none of us kids wanted them.

We have been greatly blessed, however, to receive many great items: from family heirlooms, costume jewelry, to furniture. Sarah is now filled with vintage pieces from the 1950's and beyond.  We got end tables, dressers, desks, a rocker love-seat, and two upholstered chairs. I've been doing a lot of research on dying and painting furniture. I think I've decided to the chairs using chalk paint. Here's a great tutorial that I found on using chalk paint on velvet.


Step one, for me was to remove the dust skirt. That's all I've done so far, and I must say that I'm quite pleased with the results so far. I am a big fan of large pieces of furniture and clean lines. 


I've decide that I'm going to do one chair at a time, instead of both chairs at once so that I can show the progress of the transformation. This should be fun, stay tuned for the progress and final transformation of my Grandmother's chairs.

So long Grandma, and thanks (for all the furniture).




No comments:

Post a Comment